The Croatian Currency is the KUNA (HRK). Currently, the exchange rate is:
To see the current rate, check this link:
Foreign currency can be exchanged in banks, currency exchange offices, post offices or at some hotels’ reception desks. We advise foreign visitors to change large amounts at a time to avoid high service charges.
Major credit cards like American Express, Diners Club, Mastercard/Eurocard and Visa are widely accepted across the country in shops, hotels and restaurants, but it is advised to check at every point of purchase whether credits cards are accepted or not. Credit cards can be used to withdraw cash from many ATMs across the larger cities.
Estimated monthly living expenses
The cost of living can vary greatly depending on your lifestyle, budget and spending habits. In particular, if you take full advantage of the available cultural and social opportunities and travel a lot, expenses will be higher.
These estimates shown below are only a very general guide:
- Dormitory price – 100€/month
- Private accommodation 200€/month
- Food – 150€/month
- Local transportation (bus) – 30€/month
- Books – Library available
- Miscellaneous – 130€/month.
Food costs will vary depending on taste and dietary needs, but will account for a significant part of your budget.
- Daily menu in average price restaurant 80,00 kn ( cca 11,00 eur)
- Meal in fastfood restaurant 34,00 kn ( cca 4,5 eur)
- Meal in student mensa (subsidized meals) 7,00 kn for daily menu (0,9 eur)
- 1 liter of milk 6,00 kn (0,8 eur)
- 12 eggs 16,00 kn (2,13 eur)
- 1 kg of apples 8,00 kn (1,06 eur)
- 1 bottle of red table wine 56,00 kn (7,5 eur)
- 2 liters of Coca-Cola 14,00 kn (1,9 eur)
- Bread for two people for one day 7,00 kn (0,9 eur)
- Rented rooms and utilities Student dorm Student dorm Rental apartment From cca 250,00 eur to 300,00 eur
- Hostel cca 100, 00 kn/night (cca 15 eur)
- Hotel (three star hotel) Cca 450 kn/night (60 eur)
If you want to spend your mobility in private accommodation, here is a useful link
Useful phone numbers
- Croatian country code +385
- Pula city code 052
- Croatian exit code 00
- Police 192
- Fire brigade 193
- Ambulance 194
- Emergency Call Service: 112
Pharmacies are all over the city center and you can easily locate them by their green cross. Pharmacies on duty work 24 hours and groceries at bus/railway stations from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Water is drinkable and of a high quality in the public water supply system throughout the country.